Kenko Tea has a deliciously easy to make (and eat!) matcha dessert to share with you today that mixes blueberries and matcha green tea into cupcakes to die for.
These flourless blueberry cupcakes are topped with soft creamy matcha frosting and blueberry coulis. The pairing of blueberry and matcha creates an unusual harmony of flavors that make these cupcakes sing.
This recipe is totally gluten-free, substituting flour for almond meal, which gives a moreish edge to everything. Best of all, they are easy to make so you can get stuck in quickly!
The recipe was dreamt up by Toula Giagtzis, who’s been a professional pastry chef since 2013 and drives the food blog Sassy Cakes. Toula studied design at RMIT, and always wanted to apply her knowledge to her passions. So Sassy Cakes Blog was born, combining her two loves: food and art.
Check out her work here – there’s loads of artistic innovation and lip smacking food:
Now, let’s get baking!
Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes + Matcha Frosting
Servings: 12 regular
- 125g fresh blueberry pulp
- 3 eggs
- 125g sugar
- 150g whole kernel almond meal
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 150g butter (softened)
- 500g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp matcha cooking grade (sifted)
- 3-6 tbsp milk
Toppings blueberry coulis
- 100g fresh blueberries (pulped)
- 50g sugar
- 12-24 fresh blueberries (whole)
- Some dried blueberries (whole)
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Mix together eggs, sugar, lemon juice & salt until combined in a large bowl
- Stir in almond meal & baking powder with a wide spatula.
- Fill evenly 12 cupcakes cases
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Cool, ice and decorate with frosting and coulis
- Beat butter till lightly colored
- Add sifted icing sugar and matcha powder to the whipped butter
- Mix until combined whilst slowly adding the milk, 1 tbsp at a time until stiff soft like ice cream
- Boil blueberries and sugar with 50g water for 15 minutes
- Let it cool
- Pass through a sieve to remove the solid
- Drizzle on top of the cupcakes
Artistic and delicious! We hope you give these scrumptious muffins a try.
Enjoy this recipe? To get more awesome recipes like this, please: