Macarons are surely one of the popular treats for their lovely taste and the delicacy. And surely they are also one of the hardest baking treats to master.
As we are the big fan of macarons, we have the new recipe of matcha macarons for us to experiment this week. Say hello to Matcha Macarons filled with the delicious Black Sesame Buttercreamby the lovely Amanda from@foodie_mandy.
Amanda is a matcha lover who enjoys learning to cook and bake. She has learned from others and experience a few recipes to share with her friends and family. Although she is not a professional baker, her passion for baking is surely admirable.
Matcha macarons is actually her favorite recipe to experiment. Amanda's macarons are super soft and mildly sweet from the matcha green tea. The bittersweet matcha macarons is complementary well with the creamy and sweet black sesame buttercream - the favorite and delightful combo at Kenko Tea.
For any macaron beginners, it’s best to follow some of the notes from Amanda as it can help making the perfect and delicious green tea macarons.
Black Sesame Buttercream Filled Green Tea Macarons
- 1 Medium egg white (35g)
- 20g caster sugar
- 25g ground almonds
- 50g icing sugar
- 2tsp Matcha powder
Preheat oven to 140 C
Sift the almonds, matcha powder + icing sugar into a bowl (*Optional: Run the ground almonds + icing sugar through a food processor to get an even finer grain).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until foam appears.
- Add caster sugar; continue whisking on high for about 3-5 mins or until stiff peaks form.
- Pour ⅓ of the dry mix in the meringue and fold gently to incorporate.
Repeat twice for the remaining dry ingredients (Do not over mix).
Transfer to a piping bag with the end snipped off or with a medium-large round nozzle (NOT a fine one like the one been used as the shells won’t look uniform and smooth, like in the photo).
Pipe onto a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper or a silicone mat (Use a bit of the mix to stick the grease-proof paper to the tray).
- Tap the tray onto the worktop for couple times to remove any air bubbles.
Leave to rest for about 30 mins or until dry to the touch (NOT over dry).
Bake for around 15-18 mins (Keep eyes on them to make sure to not over bake them).
- Let them cool on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack as they are fragile.
Black sesame buttercream
- 113g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp crushed black sesame seeds
- 1-2 tbsp cream or milk
Crush the black sesame seeds with a rolling pin (To intensify the flavor, simply put the seeds into a freezer bag and bang with a rolling pin).
- Whisk or beat the butter until pale and creamy.
- Add ½ of the icing sugar and whisk slowly until incorporated.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and whisk on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the crushed black sesame seeds
- Add cream or milk if the mix is too thick for spreading or piping
- Fill the macarons with the buttercream using a spoon or piping bag.
Note: For the extra buttercream, you can eat it raw like I ate what was left, straight from the bowl ;)
These delicious green tea filled sesame buttercream macarons surely make the fun recipe to work on with your family and friends~
Want more recipes from us? Then please don’t forget to: