Donuts come with various kind of flavors and it’s this variety that makes them possibly one of the most loved desserts in the US. It can seem easier to buy them, as homemade donuts are perceived to take a lot of effort to make, but here’s a secret - they are actually super simple to create at home!
So forget the unhealthy packaged donuts from Dunkin’ Donuts or convenience stores, because this week we have a new healthy homemade matcha recipe to share with you - Vegan Home baked Matcha Chocolate Donuts by the super talented Tess Begg!
Tess is one of our recipe contributors from Sydney and is passionate about healthy vegan food and living a cruelty-free lifestyle. Tess has created many delicious vegan recipes as she believes healthy food shouldn’t be boring. You can visit Tess and her marvelous creations at:
Tess’ donuts are great for you as they are oil-free, unrefined sugar-free and dairy-free. They are better for your waistline and healthier than most of the donuts you will find at the stores.
The donuts are freshly baked, crispy and super chocolatey. The subtle matcha hint brings out the earthy bittersweetness from the donuts, which complements the mint chocolate glazing.
You can also add more matcha to get a deeper vibrant green color and richer matcha taste. These homemade vegan green tea donuts certainly make for a delightful choice for school or work.
Vegan Matcha Green Tea + Chocolate Donuts
- ½ cup unrefined cane sugar
- ⅓ cup rice malt syrup
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1 ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp matcha powder, more or less for your preference.
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- Vegan mint chocolate, melted (glazing)
- Combine sugar, syrup and banana till well mixed.
- Mix in 1 cup of flour, baking soda, and matcha.
- Add in almond milk and another ½ cup spelt flour.
- Continue to mix thoroughly until well incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 2, add cacao in 1 half, mix well.
- Pipe each flavor into each cup of donut tray.
Bake in a preheated at 180oC for 15 mins.
- Dip some in melted chocolate, drizzle on others.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut or your favourite toppings.
Voila! A super easy, healthy and delicious donut recipe. We hope you enjoy these fantastic donuts with your friends and loved ones. Following is the video Tess has shared with us to show how these beauties are made in action.
If you love this recipe, please don’t forget to: