Kenko’s Matcha Recipe Day is back!
Today we have another exciting matcha dessert recipe. It’s one of our favourites that will definitely impress anyone who tries it.
Let’s meet Julia aka @juliaaanne and her delicious Matcha Black Sesame Cheesecake!
Julia is a nurse and passionate adventurer. When she is not working, she spends her time travelling, organising social justice campaigns for With Church, and enjoying her favourite passion - baking.
Sometime in the far future, she hopes to retire from nursing and open a bakery. Until then, she enjoys learning and improving on her baking skills.
Julia’s cheesecake is inspired from Oh, Sweet Day!. She has adapted the Matcha Black Sesame Cheesecake recipe, making it a little sweeter. Also, instead of the hazelnut shortbread crust, she has changed it up by using another shortbread recipe.
This tasty blend of matcha and black sesame brings a flavour of the East to your favourite cheesecake. It is a gorgeous cake you’re bound to delight in serving it up to friends.
Matcha Black Sesame Cheesecake
Yield: 8-in (20 cm) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold & cut into small chunks
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioner sugar
- 2 packages of 8-ounce (225g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tbsp matcha powder
- ⅓ cup black sesame powder
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C), grease or line an 8-inch spring form pan
- Mix the crust ingredients in a food processor until it resembles coarse meal
- Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan
- Bake crust for 15-18 mins, set aside to cool & turn down oven to 300F (150C)
Mix cream cheese, sour cream, sugar + vanilla extract until combined using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment
Add eggs one at a time, blend for another 2 mins until well combined
- Divide batter into 2 equal portions: Add 2 tbsp matcha powder to one & black sesame powder to another
- Mix both batters until well combined and mixed
Pour black sesame filling over the crust in the prepared pan
Dollop matcha filling on top & swirl the mixture together using a knife
- Bake on the middle rack with a pan full of water on the lower rack for 1 h or till the edge is puffed while the center is still wobbly and wet looking.
- Turn off the oven with the door slightly opened, let it sit there to cool completely for at least half an hour
- Remove from the oven then chill for overnight
- Sprinkle remaining matcha powder on top of the cake right before serving
Matcha Black Sesame Cheesecake is surely the perfect choice in your baking bucket list… enjoy!
Love this recipe? Here what you can do to get more: